Using Amitraz for Mite Control



The above article from Randy Oliver's Scientific Beekeeping website, http://scientificbeekeeping.com/beyond-taktic/  is, I think, an article every beekeeper should read. 
I was at our local bee club meeting last night and a local commercial operation was presenting about their operation.  They use a product call TAKTIC, that is a stronger form of Amitraz that is commonly used in Apivar strips. This is currently an unavailable product in the US, and is smuggled in for bee use by US beekeepers.  Many use it.   Apivar strips are the legal use of this active ingredient Amitraz, but at a smaller and slower release use.
I will be honest, I was furious that they were using this and maybe deceitful to their customers that they are selling bees to.  I think I over reacted. It is up to each individual to make up their own mind.

I had read the above article before, but went back and read it again.  If pesticides are an issue to you in your bees, I suggest you read this article; every bit of it.
There are a lot of what ifs using this active ingredient, and I think you should make up your own mind if this is a problem for you to have it in your bees.  As for me and my operation, at this time, no thank you.

Kip

Comments

Popular Posts